Wednesday, October 03, 2012

unexpected detour


I said good bye to my hosts last Wednesday, and to Julien and Vivien too.  It is definitely the end of any project together, the three thing was just too difficult, though I would be more than happy if Julien were to end up with a plot of land next to mine.  One of my most enjoyable and eye opening visits of my journey so far.  So many things achieved, so many things possible, with an open heart and a sense of sharing and participation for everyone who visits, what a great place.  I am sad to leave.

Though on what an adventure.  My brother has been hankering for me to visit him since he moved earlier this summer, though I have declined, believing that his new life is his project and he should decide what route he needs to take.  He had a dramatic journey by car from the Midlands to his new home, with break-downs causing his journey to take over two  weeks rather than the 48 hours originally planned, though that is another story.  

He moved to Portugal earlier this year, to a large plot of land in which stands a ruin and the remnants of some very productive horticultural land.  I am aching to visit to see what he has bought with his partner MIchael and am already desparately telling myself not to get too involved.  I know that they have a list a million questions long for me and I can’t wait to hear their stories, see the land and stay with them in their tiny caravan and help out for the next three weeks.  There is no phone, no WIFI, no electricity or running water, it’s back to basics and from all accounts, so far, they are loving every moment of their new life.  Watch this space for what I discover, as I shall update you when I return to the modern world.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds fantastic.....looking forward to hearing and seeing all about it! x Moi

Anonymous said...

....am sure you realise......we have been following your blog for 6 yrs this December!! x How will you mark that occasion!!!???
x Moi

Anonymous said...

...in fact I made a mistake.....It's 6 years this month!! Scary!!! So assume you will celebrate by being incommunicado in Portugal!!!
x Moi

Anonymous said...

6 years wow! And it's your birthday this week young man (!) what are you up to? Sending you big hugs and love Jacqueline, Tania & Alix xxx

joy said...

Belated happy birthday Sam hope you had fun celebrating with Windy + Michael. I expect you will have done a lot of work during your visit and given them helpul tips on making progress with their project . .a bit of a challenge if there is no water electricity etc etc sounds far too intimidating for me but wish them well with it all. What next? ski chalet for the winter? looking forward to next blog xxx joy