Tomorrow has come and gone for nearly a month ( I change the blog dates so that they are just about accurate to when things happen) and I have a quick chance, once again, to catch up on blogging.
Simon and I have just spent two days playing with a mini digger, day 1, heavy rain showers and blustery rain, proper November weather, but we got on with the task in hand anyway. You really can’t sit around, especially when there is a machine on hire that is costing a small fortune every day.
Day 2, as if summer was back, well nearly, blue skies and warm sunshine, just the ticket to lay pipes and backfill as many of the trenches as possible whilst the machine was with us.
We got just about everything finished, save all the joints and construction of an inspection chamber for the isolation valves which will go near the water meter. The system is devised so that the garden sections can be turned off during the winter to lessen the chance of frozen pipes, whilst the (future) house and chalet can be supplied or isolated as necessary.
At the same time we installed a pipe to transfer saved rainwater from the chalet to the garden, saving countless trips with a watering can or strimmed surface pipes hidden in the undergrowth in later years.
Whilst digging it seemed sensible to lay a conduit for a phone line, directly to the chalet with the possibility of branching off towards the house when needed.
The place is a bit of a mess superficially, but it’ll soon grow back and hopefully it’s the final time that this area of the property will need to be disturbed in such a manner. The big disruption and earthworks is yet to come.......... next year with any luck.
|trenching to the garden for water and phone cables|
|the mini digger makes quick work of it|
|refilled as far as we could go|
|water to the door. Thankfully the trench is now filled in|
And then I was hit by a virulent head cold. A week after all the digging, I attempted to continue with the water works, feeling somewhat groggy in the head. The first task was to dig out space for an inspection chamber near the water meter. Easy I thought, ten minutes with a spade and it’ll be done. Two minutes later with water spraying everywhere, I manage to slice through the last remaining length of active pipe much closer to the meter than I had planned. Thankfully the water was easy to turn off.
Minutes later, whilst attempting to continue with the same task, I break the concrete surround by hitting it with said same spade. Bad head, slight mal co-ordination, it’s obviously not the ideal time to be attempting even vaguely technical work. I have a cup of tea and write myself a large note that has stayed on the table for nearly three weeks. DO NOT ATTEMPT TECHNICAL TASKS UNTIL YOU’R HEAD IS BACK TO NORMAL. YOU’LL ONLY BREAK THINGS OR MUCK IT UP.
I listened to my advice and am still in the throws of finishing the last of the technical part of this task now, in mid December. It’s been interesting even with a clear head and fully functioning brain. Missing parts, difficult, drippy joints that needed redoing several times, cold, uncooperative pipework, all add to the challenge. A good job done, something that will (should) last the duration, without having to be revisited during later stages of the build.
|about one year since I discovered my plot and nothing much has changed to the buildings|